Re: [Evolution] troubles with v3.2.2 on Mint-12

I have salted responsed through the several messages below

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 12:00 +0000, evolution-list-request gnome org wrote:
------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:21:26 -0800
From: N B Day <nbday fastmail fm>
To: evolution-list gnome org

> I'm having troubles with Evolution v3.2.2 on Mint-12.

Works very well for me; same disto, same release.  Have you tried the
obvious things like fsck and memory tests?  Tried as a different user?
Did you upgrade from an earlier release or fresh-install?

This was a clean install to a new laptop so /home file system was new as well.
Hardware and file system appear clean.

{snip}
> Second, I don't find any $HOME/.evolution profile folder. ( Where is
> this edition of Evolution keeping
> my local folders and address book files and similar details?

Now a well-behaved gnome application: look in .local/share/evolution.

I found it at $HOME/.config/evolution  using a global 'find'.
{grumble}
One never knows where things wind up the way that distros and desktop environments come and go.  My Ubuntu Lucid has $HOME/.local/share/applications  parts along with $HOME/.evolution parts.  The latter is the mail message  and related parts repository.
{/grumble}

> Third,  when I am in a browser and select File --> SendLink,  I get an
> compose email page as expected
> but the URL is fractured.  Specifically,  I always get the following:
>
>      new mail subject = TITLE from the web page I'm trying to send
>      new mail content = always TWO(2) lines
>           line 1 =  "h"
>           line 2 =  "ttp://.....the rest of the web link ....."
I don't see this.

For the information of others who may be able to
help more: Mint 12 is pretty much Ubuntu 11.10 (the latest official
Ubuntu, and so Debian-derived at two removes).

It is also several "removes" from Gnome desktop environment.  As I understand, it is Gnome-3
but with "Mint Gnome Shell Extension" (MGSE) layer that provides familiar features from Gnome-2. (see http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linux-mint-12s-three-desktops/9919&ei=iOhQT5qXBa2EsAKjs_iuDg&usg=AFQjCNGc9MEw1lvkw04JRR6a2YZELVYZrg  )

There is also Mint's MATE desktop environment. (See http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2011/12/02/linux-mint-12-mate/ )  I happen to be using this one.

Lastly, there is Cinnamon desktop environment. (see http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/mints-cinnamon-the-future-of-the-linux-desktop-review/10246 )

{opinion}
This proliferation of desktop parts is the result of a combined disapproval of the Unity desktop and Gnome-3 features and change in paradigm coupled with rejection of the perceived heavy-handed (some say ham fisted) way that Canonical forced them onto the Ubuntu community.  Mint's philosophy has long been "... what provides the best out of box end-user experience ..." and so there are several attempts to mine the best features from the available Gnome-world desktop parts.
{/opinion}

Message: 3