Re: [Evolution] Mail not displayed but probably there somewhere

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht gmail com> wrote:
Hello,
 First post to this list. I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

 First, this is to help my father. He's 84 years old and has been
using Gentoo Linux, Gnome & Evolution for about 10 years. I manage his
system remotely and he's just a general user for browsing & email. In
general it's been a pretty positive experience for him.

 The problem: I don't know what he did but Evolution no longer
displays any of his email. If I run Evolution remotely I can change
the 'Windows' to contacts I see his contacts are there, and if I send
him and email at his Verizon address I can see the email at Verizon
using my browser. (logged in as him) When I tell Evolution to
Send/Receive it acts like it's receiving email, and indeed the email
is no longer in the Verizon server, but I don't see the new email in
Evolution.

 Now, apparently this is not completely accidental. He, for some
reason out of the blue, just decided to play with Evolution settings
to see what they did and managed to turn everything off. As I am not
an Evolution user I've been poking around for hours in the program but
cannot figure out what he might have done.

 One post I found in the archives from a long time back has to do
with setting View->Hidden to on so that Evolution would show
everything, but that was for an old version of Evolution and I cannot
find that any feature quite like that in the version he's running now.
(2.32.3)

 I'm hoping this is just some obvious thing that regular users know
how to solve easily.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

I should be clear that I have already tried all of these:

https://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#I_cannot_see_some_emails.2C_but_they_must_be_there.

except "Edit | Show Hidden Messages" which doesn't exist. (Likely it's
been moved somewhere that I haven't found yet.)

Also, to be clear, I'm not seeing ANY folders or emails AT ALL. The
whole app is empty inside of the area for emails that has From,
Subject & Date as sorting items along the top. However, if I try to
create a new folder using Folder->New then the dialog/file edit window
shows all of his folders.

One other piece of info: As I'm running this remotely over ssh I'm
starting it in a terminal. This is what I see in the terminal:

herb gandalf ~ $ evolution
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
Migrating cached data
Migrating config data
Migrating local user data
  rmdir /home/herb/.evolution/tasks
  FAILED: Directory not empty (contents follows)
          tasks

(evolution:14834): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class EMFolderTree
doesn't implement property 'paste-target-list' from interface
'ESelectable'

(evolution:14834): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class EMFolderTree
doesn't implement property 'copy-target-list' from interface
'ESelectable'
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0".

(evolution:14834): menus-CRITICAL **:
gal_view_instance_set_current_view_id: assertion `instance != NULL'
failed

(evolution:14834): menus-CRITICAL **:
gal_view_instance_set_current_view_id: assertion `instance != NULL'
failed

(evolution:14834): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion
`child->parent == NULL' failed

Thanks again,
Mark