Re: [Evolution] An interesting problem

With further investigation, the problem does indeed seem to be in the
file.  If I copy the file to another directory, it gets bigger by about
a meg.  I can attach that copy to a message without problems whereas the
original will lock up evolution.

That sounds like a low level file corruption - look in /var/log/messages
(or its equivalent on your system) to see if there are any issues with
the disk itself - if that's OK, run fsck on the partition (from a live
distro if possible, the partition needs to be unmounted).  Normal
disclaimers apply: back up your data, I'm not responsible for anything.

The thing is, the apparently corrupted file will work just fine       when
viewed in multiple video players.  Go figure!

Compressed video file formats and players are designed to cope with data
stream corruption, glitches, dropouts and so on, so you may not have
noticed a problem with a few bytes.  And if there is a disk read
problem, the read-ahead on the data stream is possibly big enough that
any timeouts on the disk will have passed by the time the player needs
the data.

Anyway, as you say, it's not an Evolution problem, so is probably
getting a bit off-topic for this list ...

P.