Re: [Evolution] SMTP Question

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 12:43 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> For a couple of accounts that I have (paid EMail accounts) it seems
> that I need to pay for SMTP Authentication to send mails from a
> client.

I would very much doubt you need to pay twice - once for receiving and
once for sending...

Thanks for the reply Pete.
Maybe it's my misunderstanding and I have  bought something I just didn't need.  I do not use my ISP for my mail
and have a separate provider for my domain name and mail services. For each account they offer the 'purchasable' option of having
SMTP Authentication, that I have taken to be the ability to connect as an 'authorised user' to send mail. IE in Evo terms to be able to specify the SMTP host, user and password. I'll check with them as to what their 'SMTP Authentication' is meant to be used for.

>  The first question is:
> Do I need multiple SMTP connections? IE Can I send a mail message from
> say blah somemail com via an SMTP connection at smtp.blah.blah. Can I
> just use one smtp account to send all my mail, even though the 'From'
> is not part of that 'email domain'?

That's called open mail relaying and virtually all SMTP servers will
block it - it's the way that much spam used to be sent.  i.e. if you can
use an SMTP host to send mail to any domain without authenticating
first, then so can Mr Spammer.  In fact it doesn't matter what your
From: header says (since Mr Spammer can also easily fake that), you
should only be able to send mail to external domains if you are
authenticated.

OK - so what your saying makes sense. BUT, I'm not saying that I won't be 'authenticating' if that makes sense. What I meant was I have an smtp provider that needs me to 'connect' with my user id/password to send mail - ok - so now I have connected, can I send mail with a 'from' of a different domain? Take my  free yahoo account as the example. Can I use Evo and set my NON yahoo accounts to use the yahoo smtp access to send my mail for those as well? Or are you saying that for each 'mail' account I should (must?) use a separate SMTP connection?

BTW, from experience, what happens if you accidentally leave a mail
relay open and a spammer finds it is that your server will suddenly be
abused by a couple of million messages being blasted at it; and very
quickly all the blacklists will have the server listed and you won't be
able to send legitimate mail out and it will take you months to recover!

>  Where is this smtp server detail coming from? Is there another config
> file I need to change?

It's only in the account configuration page - and it's all done on a
per-account basis - so make sure you are sending your email from the
correct account.

I'll try it again later today. I thought I had double checked it before (but I am old and my memory fades!). I altered one account to use the SMTP of another. I then disabled all the other accounts and to be safe made the 'modified' account the default and then mailed using that account, but it still showed the old 'smtp' host in the message and the 'send/receive' dialogue.
P.