Re: [Evolution] serial 138770 error_code 8 request_code 59 minor_code 0

On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 00:46 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
The program 'evolution' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 138770 error_code 8 request_code 59 minor_code 0)

What can/must I do ?

What version of Evolution?  What desktop are you using? (i.e. Gnome,
KDE, whatever)

Evolution 2.32.2 on GNOME-Version 2.32.1 from Ubuntu
That's a very old version of Evolution.

*VERY* old [where the * !&(*@(*@ do all these ancient users come from?
Really, it baffles me.  No updates for four+ years?  Really?]  I
understand lagging for stability and getting-work-done, but... multiple
years?

 It is unlikely that the
Evolution devs will fix a bug (if there is one) in that version.  If the
problem corresponds to a bug fixed in a later version, then it would be
up to the Ubuntu maintainers to back port the patch to the version they
distribute.

If it worked previously and now doesn't - it is *not* an Evolution bug
[because your Evolution hasn't changed]. Not creating an X error.  This
is a bug in X, your video driver, Gtk, etc... especially if it
corresponds to scrolling; it is further down the stack than Evolution.
I'd wager some library got updated [gasp!] to a slightly incompatible
version, your video hardware is dying, or the user [admin?] mucked up
the libraries by forcing something or making a 'manual' change.

Do not discount your video hardware dying [or somehow becoming
unstable].  I've twice been able to crash a workstation by doing things
on the screen with particular applications - once because the video card
installed was "not supported" and once because a RAM stick was dying.
Replacing the *physical* components resolved the 'bug'.  Why those
particular actions invoked the doom?  Way above my pay grade,  but I
went to college for Electronics Manufacturing and know enough about the
insanity of bus timing on that scale to have no problem believing it.

Does Evolution crash completely? Is the crash reproducible?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ YES ! Haven't tried it yet, 'coz I'm
happy with a running system. But I remember what I was doing before the
crash was only rapidly scrolling down in a large mail ?:-|
A one off crash on an X call from an unknown part of the code is not
going to be easy to get to the bottom of. The only way to deal with it
is if the crash is reproducible and you can get a debugger back trace of
the crashed code.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383