Re: [Evolution] Data migration Evolution 2.24.5 to 3.4.3

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 13:31 -0600, Brian A Anderson wrote:
This sounds a bit like I have a mission impossible.
Looks like Evolution 3.0 does the conversion.
I don't have 3.0.

It's in Fedora 15, so the "easiest" way of accessing Evo 3.0 is to
install F15 on a virtual machine and use that to do the conversion - but
see below.

If I follow what you said below,  Does this mean that I have to convert
2.24.5 data to 2.32 data and then to 3.4 or is it just one conversion?

It's more likely to work properly if you go in small steps - there was a
big change in data going to 2.32 and a similar big change going to 3.0.
3.4 introduced another change in the way the configuration data are
held.  Evo can probably cope with a single conversion, but it is more
likely to get it wrong.  The safest way is to go to 2.32 first, then 3.0
then 3.4.  Andre was saying that it should be OK to miss out the 2.32
step and use 3.0 to convert that data from the 2.24 format.  It is
unlikely though that the Evolution backup files will work from 2.24 (the
tar.gz file doesn't just contain data, it also contains settings that
need to merged into gconf as part of the restore process, that's why you
can't just untar the file and expect it to work). So you need to upgrade
your (failing) machine first to Fedora15 - after taking a back up copy
of your data!  Then use that to create an Evolution backup file that can
be imported into 3.4 on F17

Is there a utility that someone has that might do this job?

Yes, it's built in to Evolution - I don't think there's an official
stand alone utility to do it, although someone may have cobbled together
a script for it.

P.