Re: [Evolution] Data migration Evolution 2.24.5 to 3.4.3

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 17:26 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 09:52 -0600, Brian A Anderson wrote:
How do I migrate from one machine running Evolution 2.24.5 to another
machine running Evolution 3.4.3.

I tried using this procedure but it did not work.
I used the backup from the old version 2.24.5 it produced a
evolution-backup.tar.gz
I moved that file to the new machine then went to the restore from
backup selection.   Selected the above file and watched while it ran.
I could see no information using evolution 3.4.3.
THe set of what appears to be 4 files per 2.24.5 folder were present in
the new tree.  But all the other stuff was gone.
Evolution was fundamentally useless at this point.
So I killed all the programs and removed all the files in my user space
and restarted evolution 3.4.3 on the new machine and downloaded files
from my ISP provider.
So far so good.  But no files from before.

You back it up from within Evolution, then restore it in the new
version.  See

 http://library.gnome.org/users/evolution/3.4/backup-restore.html.en

Please note that the older machine (running 2.24.5) is dying a slow
hardware death.

I tried backup on old machine and restore on new machine.
No go.  It appears that the data is totally different in organization.

How did you backup the data?

And yes the file locations are different, but Evolution is intelligent
enough to migrate data if it detects data in the old locations.

P.