[Evolution] POP3 and deleting emails from server when moved locally?

I'm a new Evolution user on Debian Squeeze (2.30.3), having moved from
Icedove because it had problems downloading POP3 messages a few times.
 So far, it's working okay, except I have two problems:

1.  I set it up and imported my Icedove folders, and then I downloaded
for the first time.  That gave me duplicates of everything.  Is there
a command or plugin to eliminate duplicates, as there was on
Thunderbird/Icedove, or do I have to do that manually/

2.  My second issue is much more important to me.  I leave emails on
the server for various reasons.  If and when I do move some messages
from the inbox to other folders or I delete messages from the inbox, I
want Evolutiont Ito remove them from the server, but I can't figure
out how to do that (it seemed easy on Thunderbird / Icedove).

Any tips?  I've searched and found a few tantalizing hints that there
might be a solution, but I haven't found the solutions.

I can do the first manually, although I'd rather not (I have a number
of emails to sort through, in that case).

I'm open to a number of options on the second:

- If Evolution has it built in and I haven't found it, advice on how
to do it would be great.

- If a newer version of Evolution has it and it's buildable on
Squeeze, let me know.  I thought I saw that somewhere, but I can't
find instructions in the current documentation describing it.

- If people use dovecot or something similar to get email instead of
Evolution's built-in POP3 software, and if dovecot or similar can
manage the communications required to do this, can you point me to a
howto or other documentation?

If none of those work, how do you manage this?  Do you delete or move
emails in Evolution and then also log into webmail and delete the same
messages?  That sounds tedious, and I'd rather not do that.

I've asked elsewhere, and a common response is to use IMAP.  AFAICT,
the owner of these servers doesn't support IMAP.  Besides, at some
time, I'd like to have the emails on my own disk, and my past
experience suggests that's not as easy with IMAP as it is with other
approaches.

Thanks,

Bill