[Evolution] moving EVO details to new workstation

Folks,
    I have bought a new laptop ... ta-da! I have new linux and EVO installed and running. (That is how I'm writing this.)
    I have an old laptop.  I made a tar-ball of $HOME/..., moved it to the new workstation, and unpacked the tar-ball as  $HOME/oldeHOME/...  From there I can pick and choose the files and folders I want and discard the rest where that makes sense.
    I want to make my olde EVO files and folders and messages available to my new EVO.
Can I click-click in the new EVO and point to the folders of my restored tar-ball?
Do I need to copy files around first?  Clearly, my emphasis is messages and contacts
over configuration and settings.

** The new edition is v3.2.2 under Linux Mint-12 with Cinnamon.

     [From the help file for the running edition of EVO...]
     If you run Evolution 2.32.0 or later, data will be stored according to the
     XDG Base Directory Specification. By default this means:

     The user's data files
     $HOME/.local/share/evolution
     Various configuration and state files
     $HOME/.config/evolution
     Disposable data caches
     $HOME/.cache/evolution
     Configuration settings in GConf
     $HOME/.gconf/apps/evolution

** The olde edition was v2.28.3 under Linux Ubuntu with Gnome 2x.

     I found files under $HOME/.evolution  (in a dot-folder)

     [From the Olde EVO FAQ pages ...]
     Evolution stores your data in $HOME/.evolution, your account settings in
     $HOME/.gconf/apps/evolution and your passwords in $HOME/.gnome2_private/Evolution.
     The passwords are not stored encrypted, just base64 encoded.  SSL Certificates
     are stored in $HOME/.camel_certs, and if Evolution crashed while you were
     writing an email, there could even be a file
     $HOME/.evolution/.evolution-composer.autosave-123456
     (where 123456 is some string)
Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan