Re: [Evolution] moving EVO details to new workstation

Quoting Dan Saint-Andre <saint grillongroup org>
Folks,
    I have bought a new laptop ... ta-da! I have new linux and EVO
installed and running. (That is how I'm writing this.)
    I have an old laptop.  I made a tar-ball of $HOME/..., moved it to
the new workstation, and unpacked the tar-ball as  $HOME/oldeHOME/...
From there I can pick and choose the files and folders I want and
discard the rest where that makes sense.
    I want to make my olde EVO files and folders and messages available
to my new EVO.
Can I click-click in the new EVO and point to the folders of my restored
tar-ball?
Do I need to copy files around first?  Clearly, my emphasis is messages
and contacts
over configuration and settings.
** The new edition is v3.2.2 under Linux Mint-12 with Cinnamon.
     [From the help file for the running edition of EVO...]
     If you run Evolution 2.32.0 or later, data will be stored according
to the
     XDG Base Directory Specification. By default this means:

Forget it, performing this kind of surgery is a path to fail.

Use the Evolution backup feature on your old laptop, move that file to your new laptop, and use the Evolution restore feature. I would certainly try that first.

Or just restore your complete home directory in-place; but *before* you log into the laptop. Then any auto-upgrades should kick in.

Also note that you can only do the auto-upgrade jump for n number of versions forward.

** The olde edition was v2.28.3 under Linux Ubuntu with Gnome 2x.