Re: [Evolution] lurking mode... for now...

Quoting Barry Smith <bnsmith003 gmail com>
I was excited by Evolution.
I was excited by all that it was, and all that it was not.
Stable, "standard", GNOME, encryption-aware...
It was the first and only email package that I intended to use in my
"Linux" life.
Unfortunately (for me), I'm extremely happy with Ubuntu.
Ubuntu running on a --
MS-7051 Motherboard with AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+ and Phoenix BIOS v 6.00
PG and 2 Gig of RAM
is just not capable of running Ubuntu with GNOME3... and thus cannot run
the latest Evolution.

I see no reason that box can't run GNOME3. It possibly can't run GNOME Shell due to an unsupported video card. GNOME Shell != GNOME3. GNOME3 supports a fallback unaccelerated mode. Or buy a $40 video card that can run GNOME Shell with ease.

Because the attempt to install GNOME3 on my computer broke Ubuntu, I
decided to re-install the latest Ubuntu LTS... which most will recognize
is Lucid... or 10.04.
Just a note - the latest PPA version of Thunderbird 6.0.2 runs under
GNOME2, as does the Enigmail plugin, as does the Lightning plugin.

Every app should run on GNOME2.

Unfortunately, the Evo calendering tool is the default for Ubuntu's
Clock 2.30.2... the nice default clock tool on the panel (or upper OS

Evolution provides a very nice architecture where other services can integrate via D-Bus. So you can use Evolution services without the Evolution UI.

taskbar)... so my next bit of research is about how to change the
defaults in Clock 2.30.2... and what the alternatives are... so that I
can COMPLETELY remove evolution from my computer... since Evolution no
longer supports the version that Ubuntu is stuck on.

This is a odd statement; Ubuntu chooses not to support the current version of Evolution.

As you can probably tell, I am not happy that supported/current versions
of Evo are not allowed to run on Ubuntu on my computer.  Yet, such is life.

Evolution doesn't prevent it; Ubuntu chooses not to support it.