Re: [Evolution] Really super terribly awful slow performance "Generating message list"

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 14:00 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Quoting Zan Lynx <zlynx acm org>:

First things first....

So, am I doing something wrong, or have the Evolution developers
forgotten the basics of O(n) data structure analysis

Really?  There is no need to be rude, accuse people of incompetence,
or generally behave in a belligerant manner.

OK. Sorry. I just got super frustrated and had to vent.

Does anyone know why Evolution spends all of its time "Generating
message list"?
When I click on any folder to read it, it generates a message list.
When I move a message to a different folder it generates a message list.

I *assume* you are talking about a local mail folder; since you don't
say [maildir / POP / IMAP / IMAPX ]

No. Not a local folder. It is IMAPX and the plugins and all are whatever
the default Fedora-15 install has.

If you run top or gnome-system-monitor do you see anything *else*
running?  I've seen this operation take *FOREVER* if the Tracker
plugin is enabled [this, I'm convinced, is Tracker's fault, not
Evolution's;  otherwise Tracker is great].

Nope. No tracker or anything else.

Evolution has just been started and I clicked on my LKML (linux kernel
mailing list) folder which is a virtual search folder with search set to
Any conditions, Recipients contains linux-kernel vger kernel org,
Specific header Newsgroups contains linux.kernel, Search folder sources:
imapx:zlynx threatwall zlynx org/INBOX

Here's a line copied from 'top':

15816 lynx      20   0 1926m 295m  19m R 98.9  7.6   0:16.54 evolution

It's already burned 16 seconds and it hasn't even come up with the
message list yet.

INBOX has 31,457 total messages. 18,418 of those are from LKML.

Evolution version is 3.0.3.
--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts