Re: [Evolution] Saved Search from VFolder Rule?

Just as a thought - is there a way of deferring the build of the search folders? As really that is what I'm trying to do. IE to have an option to only build the folder content when the folder is accessed, rather than (and I assume Evolution does do this) building the folders as Evolution starts.

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 12:35 +0100, Steve T wrote:
On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 21:29 +0200, Thomas Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Good afternoon,
> I have quite a few VFolders that seem to take an age to load. Half of
> them I no longer use regularly, but I would still want to be able to
> filter on those criteria - so is there a way to convert the VFolder
> criteria to an equivalent Saved Search? That way I can simply run the
> query when I need it, rather than maintaining the full list all the
> time.

Well, on 2.28.4 and probably still on 2.32, there exist
two files <evolution_base>/mail/vfolders.xml and
<evolution_base>/mail/searches.xml. (In your version, base is probably
in ~/.local/share/evolution).
To me, they look to have almost the same format. You may try to just
copy the part of some rules from one xml file (vfolders) to the other
(searches). Don't forget to make backups of those files before making
changes and restart evolution.
And in the future you could first define a saved search and then use the
menu item under search to turn it into a vfolder. This way, you always
have a search corresponding to your vfolder.

Hope that helps,

Thomas,
Thanks for that. The xml files are in the ~/.local/config/evolution/mail directory.

>From what I can see though, the main difference between a search and a vfolder filter, is that the search is specific to the folder that is currently active. With a VFolder 'search' you can say 'what' you want to search (ie all my VFolder searches work from the 'inbox' and 'sent' ).

Having said that, I have now copied  the VFolder xml to the search xml and then re-ordered them alphabetically - as for me, I can quite easily then run then on both the 'inbox' and 'sent' as required.

Steve

PS maybe it would be an enhancement to allow 'searches' to also target folders rather than just the current 'location' (with the default being the current location) and also to have both the Search to VFolder and VFolder to Search options.

--

Steve Tucknott
TuSol Ltd

DDI:         01323 488548