Re: [Evolution] Feature request - Put Evoluton into system tray

On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 08:43 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

It *is* alive and used, even when you exit.

awilliam linux-yu4c:~> ps ax | grep evolution
 5768  0:00 /usr/lib/evolution/2.32/evolution-alarm-notify
 5833  0:02 /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/e-calendar-factory
 6020  0:00 /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/e-addressbook-factory

If you don't want it minimized why have any visual indication at all?
Just put an Evolution icon in your toolbar for starting Evolution.  If
you have the date/time in your toolbar then your Evolution calendar
and tasks are always available there.

There's nothing there monitoring my mailbox and telling me when I have
new mail, though.

The concept of quasi-sorta-kind-minimized just doesn't make much
sense.

I don't know about "quasi-sorta-kind-minimized".

I just don't want the big mail client running all the time. When I close
it I want it to go away.

I do want a little icon in my notification area that tells me when I
have new mail though.

And when I click on that icon, I want it to start the big mail client
running again.

Pidgin seems to work like this; it's quite nice.

I don't know if that's one program that does it all and is
"quasi-sorta-kind-minimized", or if that's one program for pidgin itself
and a separate, simple panel applet for the notification thingy. But as
a user, I don't care.

Are you saying that it's not reasonable to want to spawn a "real"
application, in response to a notification that I see in my panel?

--
dwmw2