[Evolution] How to secure Evolution

I am still a bit of a newbie running  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx
on a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop with Evolution 2.28.3.

I am going to be travelling in a vulnerable vehicle and am concerned
about security of my machine it will be locked into the vehicle with a
Kensington Lock ( which could be difficult to anchor securely ) but
whilst in the vehicle the laptop could still be â looked atâ.

I would like to have some way to protect the emails in âEvolutionâ as I
feel this is the way into my identity should someone want to steal it.

Keir Thomas says in his book Ubuntu Kung Fu that a password on boot up
is pretty ineffective has anyone got any other suggestions please

If I can't protect with some sort of password then maybe I should remove
the information so when they steal it there's nothing of use on there.

Is there a âPortableâ version of Evolution for instance ?

many thanks for allowing me to post