Re: [Evolution] How to secure Evolution

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 16:59 +0200, Bob Goodson wrote:
I am still a bit of a newbie running  Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx
on a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop with Evolution 2.28.3.

I am going to be travelling in a vulnerable vehicle and am concerned
about security of my machine it will be locked into the vehicle with a
Kensington Lock ( which could be difficult to anchor securely ) but
whilst in the vehicle the laptop could still be â looked atâ.

I would like to have some way to protect the emails in âEvolutionâ as I
feel this is the way into my identity should someone want to steal it.

Keir Thomas says in his book Ubuntu Kung Fu that a password on boot up
is pretty ineffective has anyone got any other suggestions please

If I can't protect with some sort of password then maybe I should remove
the information so when they steal it there's nothing of use on there.

If in that stupidly named book they mean a grub password, then yes it is
easily subverted with a boot CD - although playing with BIOS settings
can probably overcome that.

But the best way of dealing with this is to both encrypt the filesystem
and ensure that you lock (via the screensaver) the desktop when it's
left alone.  You need to make sure you have sufficiently good passwords
for both decrypting the disk and on your account.

How to encrypt your disk is beyond this mailing list: if Ubuntu can't
cope with it, then look at TrueCrypt.

Is there a âPortableâ version of Evolution for instance ?

What do you mean?

P.