Re: [Evolution] Conversion failure, Datastructure mess, Crashes

I created the folder fred.  It appeared to be created in local only; nothing
showed up in local_mbox, though it did show up in evolution's folder list.

Why would you expect it to be in local_mbox?  local_mbox is a copy of
the old, unconverted local files from before the initial conversion.
It's not used for anything.

Thanks for the info.  The info "It's not used for anything." is
extremely interesting, and not clear from the documentation or earlier
postings on this thread to the list.  I suppose now I can delete it, or
at least its contents.

The problem probably stems from the aborted initial conversion - after
the conversion completes correctly you should be presented with a
dialogue box that tells you about local_mbox.

What sort of filesystem is your home directory on?
        ext3

The permissions all look fine - the reason I ask about the filesystem is
that I've seen issues where people try to use an NFS mounted filesystem
as their $HOME and locking becomes a major issue.  You should also see
the mess when someone was using an SMB filesystem as their home.

The datastructures are becoming clear.  It seems that each folder (say
fred) is matched by files and a directory in .../evolution/mail/local of
the form:
        $ lf .fred*
        .fred.cmeta  .fred.ibex.index  .fred.ibex.index.data

        .fred:
        cur/  new/  tmp/
with the files forming an index into the messages, which are stored
in .mackay/cur .  I hadn't thought to do an ls -A on .local, and so
didn't see any of these files.  (Why are these named .fred, etc rather
than fred?)

Because that's the Maildir standard - or rather in this case Maildir++

  Also, what is the function of the visible files:
        $ lf local
        cur/  folders.db  new/  tmp/
that is to say, what kind of messages are stored in .../mail/local/cur ?

Again that's the Maildir standard - received messages are initially put
in tmp, then when the whole of the message is written, they are moved to
new.  When an MUA reads the message it is moved to cur.  This storage
method is to ensure the integrity of the message during various
operations.

The other files you see are Evolution specific and contain indexes and
meta data to speed up searches.

There is information out there on the net about Maildir - I would
suggest wikipedia, but the article about Maildir is not brilliant!

P.