[Evolution] Why does Evolution IMAP send a \* flag with IMAP APPEND?

I'm using a Courier IMAP server and the Evolution 3.0.2 included with
Fedora 15.

When I try to move some messages from one folder to an archive folder,
Evolution does a few messages and then stops with an error. I turned
debugging on in the Courier server and I get this when it fails:

READ: ATOM: T02473
READ: ATOM: APPEND
READ: ATOM: INBOX.Archive-2011-06
READ: ATOM: \SEEN
READ: ATOM: NOTJUNK
READ: ATOM: \*
WRITE: T02473 NO Error in IMAP command received by server.

All of the APPEND commands that work do not include \*. All of the
APPEND commands that fail do include it.

Now, as far as I know and as far as I've been able to find out with
Google searches, the \* flag is a special flag that should not ever be
set on a message. So why is Evolution trying to set it?

Some more information that might be useful. The IMAP box is also
accessed by other applications like Thunderbird and K9 Mail which may
have flags of their own.