Re: [Evolution] Various strange actions by Evolution

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 02:01 -0400, David A Vavra wrote:
Another option might be 'BlueBubble' ...
he's only going to maintain it until his remaining issues with
gnome 3 get worked out.

Certainly something to look at, Arthur.

It's not that I'm so in love with G2 per se but the desktop was most
useful -- more than G3, IMO. It would have been better if the new
presentation had been a fork built on top of the manager with a path
back to G2 if it's wreaking havoc in the apps and their development
but then I'm just a bystander not all that familiar with the innards.

This is not the place for a discussion of Gnome 3 v. Gnome 2 - but the
changes to Gnome 3 are more than just gnome-shell: I've used gnome-shell
on Gnome 2 and it was abysmal, however on Gnome 3 I find it pleasant to
use and I got used to it within a few days - my opinion only.

The underlying Gnome APIs have changed, so a Gnome application designed
for Gnome 3 will not build against Gnome 2 libraries (although a Gnome 2
application will build against Gnome 3 libraries I believe).

I think "wreaking havoc" is a bit overstating the issues - sure there
will be GUI issues to sort out, but that has nothing to do with the net
transport protocol issues you are coming up against.  There appear to be
issues with the POP code in 3.0.x - I don't use POP, I think it is a
mail protocol that has had its day and should have been consigned to the
great UUCP bin in the sky a long time ago - so I can't actually
contribute to sorting out the problems.  If a bug has been filed against
it (which I'm fairly certain it will have been), then you need to seek
it out and add your comments.  If there isn't, then file a bug: it's the
only way anything is going to be fixed.

P.