Re: [Evolution] using evolution with tor

Ok that makes sense. But I don't understand is why evolution has a setting for a http proxy. What does it use a http proxy for then?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Pete Biggs <pete biggs org uk> wrote:

> Is it possible to use evolution with tor? I'm using polipo as a http
> proxy. I then used the manually proxy config to point evolution
> towards the proxy. The problem is that my true IP is still logged by
> google. Since im using gmail I can check the account activity and see
> the IP addresses that have been accessing my account. I know that tor
> and polipo are working correctly with my web browser. What im I
> missing? is there something I dont understand?

All those things you are talking about are web proxies, not POP/IMAP
proxies.  There are details on the TOR wiki on how to configure a POP
proxy for gmail.

P.