Re: [Evolution] IMAP problems with Sent and Trash (Pete Biggs)

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 14:31 +0200, Jeremy Nell wrote:
Because Gmail considers deleted mail to be mail you really,
really don't
want and empties the "Trash" folder almost immediately. Remember
that
the Gmail paradigm is that you never delete anything, you use
labels to
 mark things you want filed away somewhere.  Yes, it breaks
numerous imap
standards; no, Google don't care, it's Google, they know best.
I don't buy that.  if I delete mail in Gmail, through the browser, it
stays in the Bin for a month.  And if I log onto Gmail (via the
browser), I can access the deleted mail.  Yet, Evo's Trash folder under
"Gmail" stores the mail for a few seconds before clearing the folder.
It doesn't make sense.

No, it doesn't.  GMail may support the IMAP *protocol* but it is not an
IMAP server.  They don't really have folders at all;  reference the very
true proverb: "all abstract layers are leaky".  Much like Microsoft
Active Directory supports LDAP, but isn't "an LDAP server".  If you want
consistent IMAP behavior use a real IMAP provider [like FastMail.fm
(which also uses Open Source software, rather than proprietary
software)].

Doesn't Evolution have a specific GMail provider [instead of IMAP]? I
thought so, but maybe that is only for their [proprietary] calendering
and other services.

I'd assume you can map a folder to whatever label-as-a-folder container
GMail uses to provide trash functionality.  But
putting-a-message-into-trash doesn't really seem to work.