Re: [Evolution] Search Folders on IMAP+

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 11:37 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 09:42 -0500, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:
i) I cannot confirm whether or not Evo or the server for that matter
is in fact unsubscribing me from certain folders since the checkmark
in Evo remains and the folder subscription settings in any webmail
client is correct. However, the folder(s) in question are no longer in
the folder list. So whether I'm unsubscribed or not the folder isn't
visible until I either remove and add the the checkmark in Evo OR I
unsubscribe and subscribe to said folder in a webmail client.
The synchronization points between Evo and the server are something that
don't seem to be documented in any obvious way. Evo appears to use "lazy
synch", i.e. it only contacts the server when it has to. This can lead
to apparent inconsistencies between multiple IMAP clients (including any
webmail clients of course), but note that the IMAP spec explicitly does
not define what is supposed to happen in these cases, so it's not
technically a bug.

Mmm, with IDLE support it should be pretty consistent.  And enabling [if
supported] CONDSTORE extensions on the server may help as well.

But I think that only helps with messages; I don't think it does
anything about subscribe/unsubscribe events.

I'd enable telemetry logging on your IMAP server and induce [or wait
for] the bug.

ii) The search folders function hangs on random folders at 0%
complete. When I click the exit to terminate the folder in question
disappears from me folder list and the above mentioned proceed needs
to be performed before I can see the folder again.
I used to get this a lot, then with 2.30 it seemed to have been fixed,
and now with 2.32 it has come back, though less than before. It's hard
to reproduce and seems to happen essentially at random. I've suggested
on previous occasions that Evo needs a way to force a reset of its
network connections, rather than just hanging indefinitely, but since I
don't know the precise details of what's going on it's not so easy to
make a case for this, except to say that if you force-shutdown and
restart than Evo usually recovers.