[Evolution] Evolution, scanning folders, bandwidth

Does Evolution use a lot of bandwidth?  My ISP told me that I've used around 8.5GB in 4 days.  I've done nothing unusual, so he wondered if it is Evolution trying to download my emails from Gmail.

I've currently got Evolution set up to use IMAP.  Do options like "synchronise remote folders locally" use a lot of bandwidth?

Another thing I noticed is that Evolution is constantly "scanning for changed information... (0% complete" and so on.  Is that normal?

What other things should I check to ensure that Evolution is not eating up my bandwidth?