Re: [Evolution] Attaching images (with no preview)

On Monday 03 Jan 2011 17:00:25 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 14:29 +0000, Joao Ferreira gmail
wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 14:07 +0200, Jeremy Nell wrote:
I'm a newbie.  I recently converted to Ubuntu and am
a creative more
than a techie, so please be gentle on me. :-)

Welcome to Evolution... :)

Here's the problem:

When composing a mail in Evolution, I click on on
"add attachment" at
the bottom of the window.  I then navigate to, say,
my pictures
folder.  I am presented with a list of file names and
no preview
window.  Unless I have memorised the file name of the
image, how will
I know what the image is, if there is no preview
window?  Only after
I've attached the image, do I see the thumbnail in
the attachment bar.

Yes. That is the behaviour... the file selection window
does not have a
preview option... you need to open some file browsing
utility and take a
peak while attaching...

I then go to my pictures folder via Ubuntu's main
menu, so that I can
see the images clearly, but this seems a bit clumsy.

Am I doing something wrong?  Or is there no preview
window when
attaching files?

Nothing wrong. That's just the way it is. (afaik) !

However, note that you can drag and drop files from a
file browser
(Nautilus, Dolphin etc.) into the attachment area, which
achieves much
the same result. In fact you can drop them into the
compose window
directly, without even opening the attachment area.

poc

Single best way to do it. Go to your pictures folder from
the Places menu and click-'n'-drag the image into your E-
mail.

Still, the Gimp's Open File dialogue includes a preview,
and in KDE preview display is managed on the file picker
level, not the application level. I think it warrents
discussion, at least.