Re: [Evolution] [RFC]: Quicker stable releases to fix serious bugs.

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 08:31 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
I think the only realistic solution there is to keep the various stable
NEWS files (mainly [1] and [2]) up-to-date as bug fixes are backported,
rather than updating the file immediately before release.  A wiki page
would just be duplicate effort.  NEWS files have to be updated anyway.

Developer habits are hard to change, so I imagine this would fall on my
shoulders over the short term.  Engaging in this practice would also
help keep us better aware of when a stable update needs released.

[1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/tree/NEWS?h=gnome-3-0
[2] http://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/tree/NEWS?h=gnome-3-0

        Hi,
I'm not going to do that, it's another unnecessary thing to do when
committing changes into source code. If you want to know what's new in
an already released package then check the NEWS file (as you said), but
updating it each commit you'll do is just undoable, it'll be just a
mess. Look in the above links in 'log' section to see what changed, or
if you've a checkout then 'git log'. That's the way how the NEWS file
content is generated anyway, making sure that you include only that what
you want. Imagine some developers will update NEWS file on a commit and
some not. It'll be just an extra pain to merge NEWS file.

In other words, do not do that, please!
        Bye,
        Milan