[Evolution] Problems setting up evolution to use gmail as outgoing server.

I am trying to to set up evolution on my Fedora 14 system so that it
uses gmail as the outgoing server.  Up til now I have been using my
computer at Northwestern, and it has worked that way for years.  But I
have to stop doing that.

Under Sending Email I have
Server type SMTP
Server: smtp.gmail.com:587
Server requires authentication checked
SSL encryption
Username:  my username
Remember password checked.

The first time I tried to use it, it requested my password, which I gave
it.  It no longer requests it.  But every time I try to send a message,
it gets stuck in my Outbox and never gets sent.

What might be wrong?

Let me tell you something else which might be related.

If I run evolution from a terminal I get messages like

---------------------------
[len ansel-2 ~]$ evolution
Migrating cached data
  mv /home/len/.evolution/cache/http /home/len/.cache/evolution/http
  FAILED: Directory not empty
  mv /home/len/.evolution/cache/tmp /home/len/.cache/evolution/tmp
  FAILED: Directory not empty
  rmdir /home/len/.evolution/cache
  FAILED: Directory not empty (contents follows)
          http
          tmp
Migrating config data
Migrating local user data
  rmdir /home/len/.evolution/cache
  FAILED: Directory not empty (contents follows)
          http
          tmp

(evolution:14857): filter-CRITICAL **: e_filter_option_add: assertion
`find_option (option, value) == NULL' failed

(evolution:14857): filter-CRITICAL **: e_filter_option_add: assertion
`find_option (option, value) == NULL' failed

(evolution:14857): filter-CRITICAL **: e_filter_option_add: assertion
`find_option (option, value) == NULL' failed

(evolution:14857): filter-CRITICAL **: e_filter_option_add: assertion
`find_option (option, value) == NULL' failed

(evolution:14857): filter-CRITICAL **: e_filter_option_add: assertion
`find_option (option, value) == NULL' failed

(evolution:14857): filter-CRITICAL **: e_filter_option_add: assertion
`find_option (option, value) == NULL' failed

This gets repeated

So there seems something wrong with my evolution setup.  How should I
fix that?

--
Leonard Evens len math northwestern edu
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University