Re: [Evolution] sometimes can't get mail

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 06:58 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 21:55 +1200, Victoria Spagnolo wrote:
In the past year I've taken my laptop to meetings in other cities
where
wireless was available and had trouble with sending/receiving mail.
rall, I'd connect, visit some sites, send/receive mail, then
disconnect. Sometime later I'd connect, visit some sites but couldn't
send or receive mail. And maybe one time I could receive but not send.
know that isn't much detail. I am just asking for advice on what I can
try or how to investigate this behaviour next time this happens.
Please explain what you mean by "couldn't send or receive". You mean
there's no connectivity (did you try pinging the respective servers?),

PING may not tell you anything;  ICMP might be blocked while TCP is not,
or vice versa.

telnet {your-smtp-server} 587

- and see if you get a connected message.

or there was a password failure, or Evo connected but didn't
download/upload anything, or what?

Evo's error reporting is pretty 'lite', IMO.

You also need to consider policy in force on the net you're connected
to. Some admins, especially in corporate networks, won't allow
connections to random external servers.

+1 That includes me.  Blocking egress TCP/143 & TCP/993 (IMAP) and
TCP/25 & TCP/587 (SMTP) is common and advisable.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam whitemice org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>