[Evolution] sometimes can't get mail

Hi,
In the past year I've taken my laptop to meetings in other cities where wireless was available and had trouble with sending/receiving mail. As I recall, I'd connect, visit some sites, send/receive mail, then disconnect. Sometime later I'd connect, visit some sites but couldn't send or receive mail. And maybe one time I could receive but not send. I know that isn't much detail. I am just asking for advice on what I can try or how to investigate this behaviour next time this happens.
Cheers,
Ubuntu 10.10/Evo 2.28.3