Re: [Evolution] seperate identities and outgoing servers

Le mardi 14 septembre 2010 Ã 08:11 +0100, Pete Biggs a Ãcrit :
[[ Unimportant bits of message trimmed - usually a good thing to do. ]]

Since you only have two servers and two SMTP relay hosts, it's a
relatively simple thing to setup two accounts that reflect the normal
way things are done, i.e. imapA & SMTPa and imapB & SMTPb.  You can then
setup two "dummy" accounts effectively as imapA & SMTPb and imapB &
SMTPa, but crucially you set the receiving type on those accounts as
"NONE", so they won't actually retrieve any mail (but other than that
they should be identical).  Then when you want to send things via SMTPb
as imapA you just select the relevant item in the "From:" drop down in
the composer.

Thanks. Google kindly made that suggestion before I decide to post on
the evolution list. OK: it's not that difficult. But I think it's not a
natural way to setup "dummy" accounts and manage 4 distinct entries in
the "From" field when you actually only need 2...

It's only not "natural" because you are used to how Thunderbird does it.
I have to use Thunderbird on one of my machines and I find everything in
it counter-intuitive - all this fussing about with "identities", and how
SMTP relays are not part of an account setup, but are setup separately -
it's just WRONG.

Not sure: compare it with ordinary mail. Your identity/address/mailbox
are usually linked together (OK, you can find exceptions) and related to
incoming mail. And totally independent of sending mail operations: you
can just choose whatever postal service available to you.

But seriously, Evolution is not a Thunderbird clone, nor is it an
Outlook clone.  It is Evolution.  It has its own design - whether it's a
good or bad design is a personal opinion.  You basically have four
choices:

  1 - Use it (and come to realise it's better :-) )

  2 - File a bug/request for enhancement and wait for someone to like it
enough to code it

  3 - Code it yourself and submit it for inclusion

  4 - Don't use Evolution

The bottom line is that you asked how something should be done.  I've
told you how it's done in Evolution, Google even told you the same
answer.  Turning round and saying "I don't like that I want to do it
this way but Evolution won't let me", is daft.

P.

It is not what I'm thinking/saying. I just want to give a try with
Evolution and compare its everyday use with that of Thunderbird. I was
confused because I didnt find something that I'm used to (sending a mail
with an independent pair of ("From",smtp)) and for which I found a
natural^H^H^H... err... easy way with Thunderbird. Before setting my
choice, I just ask the community (Google and this list). It doesnt mean
I want Evo to change its mind. Discard alternatives 2 and 3 ;-)

And freedom to say that (possibly because I'm used to other mailers and
probably other things) I think Evo's answer to what Im trying to do is
"unatural" and likely to make my decision turning towards other
solutions.

But nothing decided yet: look at the header (mailer agent)! :-)

Btw, "Identity" is not such nasty concept that we safely bypass using
Evolution: it is the name of the fisrt step in setting up a mail account
in Evo ;-)

LF