Re: [Evolution] seperate identities and outgoing servers

Le 13/09/2010 10:46, Pete Biggs a écrit :

In most mail clients (thunderbird, kmail), when creating a mail account,
you define an identity (i.e. a mailbox=address+incoming server) but you
do not need to specify a particular outgoing server (e.g. smtp). This
server is defined in a separate (and independent) step.

I think this is much better than in Evolution where the configuration
associates a mailbox with an smtp server.
Suppose I have 2 mail accounts/identities:
* my name firstdomain net with incoming server imap.firstdomain.net
* my pseudo seconddomain com with incoming server pop.seconddomain.com
and that I can also use
* smtp.fisrstdomain.net in my workplace only
* smtp.seconddomain.com at home only

My question is : how do I configure Evolution if I want to send a
message using my second identity when I'm at work (ie using
smtp.fisrstdomain.net)? Can I choose an outgoing server independently
from my mail identity (some kind of smtp selection functionality)?

select an SMTP server other than changing your identity, but in
principle you could do it by configuring Evo to use sendmail rather than
SMTP, and getting sendmail to understand your location. That's really
outside the scope of this list.

Thanks for mentioning that possibility. I think this is a critical issue
when choosing a mail client (for laptop users)

It's not that difficult to do in Evo.  But first you need to get away
from this idea of an "identity" - it's a concept, not an integral part
of email - different clients do things differently, if the way Evo deals
with life is not for you, then so be it, I don't particularly like the
way Thunderbird does things :-)

Since you only have two servers and two SMTP relay hosts, it's a
relatively simple thing to setup two accounts that reflect the normal
way things are done, i.e. imapA & SMTPa and imapB & SMTPb.  You can then
setup two "dummy" accounts effectively as imapA & SMTPb and imapB &
SMTPa, but crucially you set the receiving type on those accounts as
"NONE", so they won't actually retrieve any mail (but other than that
they should be identical).  Then when you want to send things via SMTPb
as imapA you just select the relevant item in the "From:" drop down in
the composer.

Thanks. Google kindly made that suggestion before I decide to post on
the evolution list. OK: it's not that difficult. But I think it's not a
natural way to setup "dummy" accounts and manage 4 distinct entries in
the "From" field when you actually only need 2...

Personally, I just use smtp.gmail.com from everywhere, but of course
Gmail keeps a copy of every message you send (that can be viewed either
as an advantage or a disadvantage), and may violate company policy or
clash with corporate outgoing filters.

Right again

What should happen is that each SMTP relay should be authenticated and
accessible from anywhere, then it doesn't matter where a mobile client
is on the net.  If your company expects you to send emails when not on
the company lan, then they should configure things to make it possible.
Further, if your work allows you to connect your own laptop to the
corporate net, or allows you to have private email accounts on a
corporate laptop, then they should also allow you access to external
mail relays so you can do it without relaying via the corporate servers.
But we all know that companies are always sensible ...

P.