[Evolution] Lost eMails from INBOX

I was sending an eMail with a small attachment (~56k).  When I hit send, all looked normal.  Checked the gmail account that I sent it to, nothing, even after 10 minutes.  Went back to evolution, checked sent mail, not there, checked outbox, not there, checked drafts, not there.  tried a second time, same thing.  shut down evolution, restarted, came up with a "recover" message, clicked on recover option, just kept popping the recover option up.   Shut down & restarted, INBOX was completely empty!  but the messages (2) I was attempting to send were both in the sent box now.
Everything looks normal except the inbox.  Sent a message from gmail, now there is 1 message in the in the inbox.  Browsed through the .evolution directories, found some old files in INBOX down a few levels.   Where are the messages stored?  I see old info about mbox files, but that appears to be different now.
contacts, calendars, sent, tasks are all OK.
search box is clear,  view "hide deleted" is not selected, show "All Messages" is set.
Where is the mail stored in 2.28.1?   I'm digging through docs now, please help shortcut my searching!
Thanks,
David

Ubuntu 9.10
evolution 2.28.1