Re: [Evolution] Lost eMails from INBOX

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 21:45 -0500, David Starr wrote:
I was sending an eMail with a small attachment (~56k).  When I hit
send, all looked normal.
Checked the gmail account that I sent it to, nothing, even after 10

Ok, so you are using GMail; it is easier to just state that.  Are you
using POP [bad] or IMAP [good]?  (ah, nevermind, I see it at the end of
the message)

 minutes.  Went back to evolution, checked sent mail, not there,
checked outbox, not there, checked drafts, not there.  tried a second
time, same thing.  shut down evolution, restarted, came up with a
"recover" message, clicked on recover option, just kept popping the
recover option up.   Shut down & restarted, INBOX was completely
empty!  but the messages (2) I was attempting to send were both in the
sent box now.
Everything looks normal except the inbox.  Sent a message from gmail,
now there is 1 message in the in the inbox.

1 message in the INBOX in Evolution, or 1 message in the GMail
interface?  Do you see other messages in your GMail interface?

What happens if you just undelete the messages in GMail?  [doesn't GMail
keep everything?]

 Browsed through the .evolution directories, found some old files in
INBOX down a few levels.   Where are the messages stored?  I see old
info about mbox files, but that appears to be different now.
contacts, calendars, sent, tasks are all OK.
search box is clear,  view "hide deleted" is not selected, show "All
Messages" is set.
Where is the mail stored in 2.28.1?

No clue; happily using 2.30.x and never ever use stupid, ugly, and
obsolete POP.

I'd guess it is ~/.evolution/mail/pop/{account}/

I'm digging through docs now, please help shortcut my searching!