Re: [Evolution] Deadly Upgrade

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 14:28 -0800, Kip Warner wrote:
Thanks Jo-Erlend. I tried that and to no avail. I've lost all of my
data, though its in database files somewhere. This is absolutely
horrible and I can't believe it didn't check at startup for data that
needs to be migrated to a new location.

Just as a counterpoint, I upgraded from 2.30 to 2.32 on my Ubuntu 10.10
system (although I used my own build of 2.32, not the PPA) and all my
data was migrated successfully and reappeared in its expected new
location.  It appears there was something unique (or at least not
common) about your system.  It would be great if we could figure out
what that was but it seems unlikely at this point.

It's very surprising that data was removed; the migration consists
basically of directory renames; nothing is removed during the migration
as I understand it.  I wonder if Matt has any thoughts about this.

I do think it would be good for Evo to make a backup of the data before
migrating it; even just a tarball left somewhere would be useful in
extremis.