[Evolution] How to mail from a local spool file?

I'm having trouble fetching mail from a local spool file in my Linux
system.  I have edited
        Preferenced->Mail Accounts->Protocol=Spool->Receiving Email
to have
        Server Type = Standard Unix mbox spool file
        path =/var/spool/mail/jonrysh
                This shows up as just "jonrysh" in the box, but
                configuring the path with the symbol at the right of the
                box indicates the path shown.

It doesn't work.  No mail is fetched from the mailbox (which is not
empty) and there are no errors reported.

Questions:
     1. Is there anything obvious wrong with the setup?  Any bugs that
        would affect it?
     2. What's the best way to get debug info from Evolution?

Thanks - jon