Re: [Evolution] Backup Restore problem - Some emails lost...

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 11:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 11:46 -0400, Rick Bragg wrote:
Hi,

I have been using Evolution for almost 8 years, and I have just updated
a couple of computers to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and things are great however,
during this process, I backed up my evolution on one system, then copied
over the tar.gz to a second machine and when I restored everything on
that second machine, there is one folder that has lost about 3 years of
email.  Strange...  I have many folders and filters and it seems
everything is fine accept in one folder, this loss...  I still have all
my mail on the first machine.

Has anyone experienced this?  What can I do?

Read
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#How_can_I_completely_backup_evolution.3F
and the following question.

poc

Thanks Patrick,

Sorry to post this again, but I only replied to you on the last message,
and I want to post to the reply to the list...

I have done that backup/restore and it seems the restore no longer
works right.  I have been using version > 2.22 for a long time and now
am up to 2.28.3 on both machines.  I have been going back and forth from
these two machines for a while as well. (one is a desktop, the other is
a laptop)  It seems something has recently happened because the restore
calls back all but a 3 year gap in one folder.

A bit more info:
* I noticed that for a quick moment, all the restored emails were there,
but as soon as I selected one, it said something like "Message does not
exist" and then all of a sudden all emails in that folder after
6/22/2007 were all gone...
* The main account is set up as a "pop" account.
* I have about a dozen or more folders set up with filters
most folders go back as far as 2005ish
* The "evolution-backup.tar.gz" is just over 780MB.

Other strange behavior:
I can no longer "empty trash" I get an "Error while Expunging
folder". and there are a few thousand messages in the trash and
growing.

Maybe some of the binaries in the tar file are corrupt? Any other ideas?
I tried the backup/restore a number of times with the same results.

Thanks again.
rick