Re: [Evolution] LDAP Support - Messenger

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 20:21 +0200, Florian GÃtz wrote:
Hi everybody,

IÂm new to Evolution, but till now IÂm really happy with it ;)
A reason for that is the write support for LDAP adressbooks(great
job).

I use an OpenLDAP Server (2.4.x) for storing my adresses. The scheme
used is the evolutionPerson.scheme that comes with evolution.
Everything
fine so far, but the fields for the messenger information is greyed
out.

With a local adressbook they are available. I browsed through the
evolutionPerson.scheme and there is no entry for the messenger fields.
Are those fields just missing in the scheme and already adressed in
the
code of evolution (so I could simply add the missing fields to the
scheme) or is there no support for that stuff in the LDAP adressbook?

Greets Flo

Sorry, don't know enough to answer your question, but I'd like to ask
what resources (if any) you followed for setting up your own OpenLDAP
addressbook. I've failed miserably (more than once) at this process
before, even with a day or so of effort each time.

No problem. All paths here are according to Debian Sqeeze, if you use
another distro they might differ. Install the evolutionperson.schema in
your LDAP (copy it to /etc/ldap/schema), include it in your slapd.conf
(include /etc/ldap/schema/evolutionperson.schema).

Now I created a Organizational Unit (ou=evoadress,dc=mydomain,dc=de) and
a special user which has write permissions to that ou.

access to dn.sub="ou=evoadress,dc=mydomain,dc=de"
        by dn="uid=adressbook,ou=users,dc=mydomain,dc=de" write
        by * none

Only this user can access my "evoadress"-Book now. You need to add that
user via a ldif-File or you can use smoething like JXplorer (great
tool). The same thing with the ou.

The only thing left to do now is to fill the right parameters into
evolutions ldap-config.

Server = IP or FQDN of the Server
Port = 389
Loginmethod = Use DN
Loginname = uid=adressbook,ou=users,dc=mydomain,dc=de
Searchbase = ou=evoadress,dc=mydomain,dc=de
Filter = (objectClass=*)

ThatÂs (in a real short description) everything you need. Done in 15 min
and works wonderful.

Greets Flo