[Evolution] Getting to the "next" message

If some messages are selected by using the Search box, and one is displayed in the Preview pane, pressing "Display the next message" in the main window causes the preview pane to display the next selected message.

But if the message is displayed (by double-clicking) in its own window, pressing "Display the next message" in the message window displays the next message in the folder.  This behavior is new, at least since evolution-2.26, and (I believe) undesirable.

Moreover, pressing "Display the next message" in the main window advances the selected message (as indicated by its blue color), while pressing "Display the next message" in the message window does not advance it.  This is how it has always been, but (I think) it also undesirable.

Is there any user control of this behavior?

Thanks - jon