Re: [Evolution] Strange behaviour of Ctrl-V

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 18:16, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 16:25 +0200, Kåre Fiedler Christiansen wrote:
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 16:02, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 17:04 +1000, Nick Jenkins wrote:

<snip about pasting files into evolution text area while composing mail>

I would expect the file to be attached. I would not expect a path to
the file to be pasted.

I disagree, with the proviso that adding an attachment is reasonable
when pasting into the attachment area. When pasting into the text area,
it's not reasonable.

All I can say is we have to agree to disagree, then. When I use
copy/paste of whole files from and to applications that are capable of
handling full files, I expect the copy/paste operation to be on files.
As a further example, if I use drag&drop of a file into a message I'm
composing. I expect the file to be attached, not an URL to be
inserted.

I will agree, though, that the current behavior isn't fully intuitive:
Pasting into any header field _does_ paste the URL, rather than attach
the file. Either pasting of a file into any element in the compose
window should a attach the file, or only pasting into the attachment
bar should do so, as you suggest.

The bug in chromium is, that it identifies a copied URL as if it was a
file copied from a file manager.

That may be so, but the fact remains that IMHO the Evo behaviour is
suboptimal. I'm happy to entertain arguments to the contrary as long as
they aren't variations on "that's the way Outlook does it".

I wouldn't know how Outlook does it. I haven't actually seen anyone
refer to "how Outlook does it", either directly or indirectly.

Is this somehow an argument that says that anyone who expects
something of an application that happens be the same way it works in
Microsoft products, is by definition wrong? I strongly disagree.
Having a certain behavior in Microsoft products does not make it the
right way to do things, but it certainly doesn't by definition make it
the wrong way to do things either.

Best,
  Kåre
--