Re: [Evolution] Strange behaviour of Ctrl-V

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 17:04 +1000, Nick Jenkins wrote:
If I paste from the Chromium location bar into a random command line or text
editor, I'm certainly getting the URL and not the contents, which is as
I would expect.

I am almost certain it's a Chromium bug.

Here's a non-Evo test case exposing the same problem: With a
bleeding-edge daily build of Chromium (version â6.0.453.0 (51332)â), if
I paste the URL text from the address bar into Open Office Writer
(version 3.1) with ctrl-v, it brings up an âinsert sectionâ dialog,
which if you click âokâ, also pastes the web page's contents, and not
the link. However, if you do the same thing with Firefox, it works fine,
and pastes the link, and not the web page's contents.

Therefore, it sounds like Chromium's setting of the data types for
copied address bar content is currently a bit broken. Evolution's
handling of pasted data types has gotten smarter in 2.30, all that's
happened here is that this improvement has exposed a separate
pre-existing problem in another bit of software, whereas previously by
sheer accident of history the two sub-optimal behaviours cancelled each
other out.

I can definitely empathise with your frustration, but surely the path
forwards is for that broken software to be fixed, not for Evo to go back
to the old approach of ignoring the pasted content's data type.

I wouldn't mind if Evo took account of the data type *when pasting in
the attachment area*. In the normal text area, I maintain that it should
paste the URL, especially when the composer is in plain-text mode (which
in my case is 100% of the time). This strikes me as the natural thing to
do and one which is very easy to explain to the user. If not, the "Paste
Quotation" thing should at least change its name to something
meaningful, such as "Paste URL" (or does it have some other purpose?)

poc