Re: [Evolution] Three tough problems in Eudora to Evolution transition

Am Sonntag, den 17.01.2010, 22:16 -0800 schrieb Vern McGeorge:
I've had it with Windows and am grinding my way through a transition
from the morabund Eudora on WinXP on my old laptop to Evolution on
Ubuntu on my new laptop.

I have Evolution working pretty well except for the following
annoyances that I am hoping someone from the Evolution community can
resolve.

My major problems stem from the fact that I like to automatically
filter and prioritize my email as it comes in so I can read the
important stuff first. I don't filter on the sender's email address
because it can change. Also, I know many people with multiple
addresses. Thus sender based filters are numerous and prone to
failure.

I also don't rely on keywords in the subject (e.g. "[MAILING LIST]
Blah, blah, blah...") as there will always be messages that have no
subject or leave out he keywords.

I DO sort on the recipient email address and then I give out a new
email address within my own domain to each group of people that I
interact with. It's not perfect as I know several people that fit
within multiple groups and thus know me by multiple email addresses.

My first problem is that I think some people send email to their
broader group of friends (who may not, in fact, know each other) using
BCC or some equivalent that suppresses the recipient list rather than
TO. The end result is that while Eudora could filter these messages,
Evolution does not. I'd like a better solution than more filters on
Subject or From.

My second problem is that I have 43 email addresses defined in my
domain and thus 43 accounts defined in Evolution. When I
"Send/Receive" email, I get problems with multiple threads hanging
while "Fetching Mail" and multiple pop-ups asking for the password for
many of my accounts. The accounts are all defined to "Remember
Password" for both POP and SMTP.
I suspect that what's going on is some sort of resource collision or
exhaustion caused by 43 threads all trying to check mail at the same
time but I can't figure out how to get things to happen at a more
orderly 10 at a time. I'd put up with 1 at a time to fix this.

My third problem is less well understood. Despite the fact that I am
sending HTML email, I haven't yet figured out how to get my name in a
signature to be in a cursive font. The Evolution based tools allow me
to set my name in bold, italic, and blue but not cursive. Grrr! I
haven't looked too hard at how to solve this but the obvious
references I've found haven't helped yet. What I'd really like is a
way to build up a style sheet to embed in my messages to let me
control the format of both message body and signature. Probably too
much to ask for but if anybody has a solution, I'm all ears.

-- Vern

Have you tried to use labels? You can set up your filters to set labels
on mails satisfying certain criteria. Then, you can use these labels in
latter filters to drill down further, combining them logically with "OR"
or "AND".

--
thomas