Re: [Evolution] Export data from Evolution 2.28.1 to a standard spreadsheet format

 ...Reply back to list ...

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 09:43 -0200, Sylvia SÃnchez wrote:

Probably your best bet is to use a VCF/Vcard to CSV converter - I've
never used one, but there seem to be plenty around on doing a google
search.

This is linked to the fact that if you set up a display by list of the
contacts, you can "see" them on screen correctly but cannot print them
as you see them ... nor can you change the printer views but this could
be linked to the printer drivers... I originally had a windows
printer ...

In that case you probably want a Vcard printing application.

P.

That's ok.  But why there's no  export item  in the menu.  There's a
import item  but no  export.

Don't know, I'm not an Evo developer - I'm just suggesting a solution to
the original poster.

Besides, there *is* an "export" function - it's called 'Vcard' format,
which is a standard format for contact information which other programs
that deal with contact information can understand.  That's the point of
a standard.  What the OP was asking for was an export to a "spreadsheet
format", which, with the best will in the world, is not a known format
for contacts.  What I presumed they meant was CSV format - which, to
some extent I might consider is OK for contact info, but there is no
standard for where to put which fields within the file. so the "export"
function would have to have some way of configuring what fields go where
- in otherwords it's become a major programming task.

I, for one, would prefer the devs to concentrate on core features and
bug fixing rather than implementing enhancements to areas where there is
already sufficient functionality.

However, if anyone feels that it is a needed enhancement, then the
easiest way is to file a bug for it.

P.