[Evolution] Help! Evolution completely unstable, hanging up

Hello

I hope someone can help me sort this problem out. Evolution was working fine. Then one day it started doing very strange things, downloading messages in a hanging-loop, (red x message beside process). Now it even hangs when I try to shut it down.

I have tried completely uninstalling evolution many times but this doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone suggest how to completely uninstall evolution and associated files and then re-install. I suspect it will be ok if I can accomplish this.

Many thanks

sean