[Evolution] Date Format

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 and Evolution 2.30.3 and rely heavily on the
calendar reminders.  I have just realized that, although I have (under
Edit | Preferences |Calendar and Tasks | Display) the format set to
M/D/Y, reminders are showing up as though they were entered as D/M/Y.
For instance, a birthday reminder for September 12, 2010 just popped up
a couple of days ago as a reminder for 12/9/2010.  I have also noticed
that, although I have set the time format (under Edit | Preferences |
Calendar and Tasks | General) to 12 hour (AM/PM), when I enter an
appointment, it immediately changes the time to 24 hour format.

Is there another setting somewhere that should be changed?

Thank you.

        Barbara Tobias