Re: [Evolution] Need help with Contacts

There is no need to mangle subjects like "Re: [Evolution] Need help with
Contacts/Adam" or address specific people in response;  threading of the
messages will do that for you/us.

On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 19:07 -0700, Brewster Gillett wrote:
bg:
At present I have 70 Contacts filed. All but three are individuals.
Problems with the three that are "lists" were introduced in an earlier
email message, and have not yet been resolved. Another topic :-)
Yes, representing anything other than contacts is problematic.  This
isn't entirely Evolution's fault;  the vCard spec provides no way to
represent anything other than a Contact.
You're confusing me here, Adam - the "lists" I refer to are a standard
part of the Evo Contacts module, according to the documentation -
there should be no reason I cannot file 12 names and email addresses
under one Contact and thereby create a Contact List.

There isn't a reason you can't;  but it does make the interface odd.
And if you are syncing the addressbook with a server the results are
undefined.

 I have done it
successfully quite often in the past.  And with lists a whole lot larger
than 12. These would not constitute "anything other than a Contact" so
far as I am aware....???
When I initiate a "NEW" email message, and follow the instructions
in the Evo Help, as reproduced here,
"Alternately, you can click the To:, Cc:, or Bcc: buttons to get a list
of the email addresses in your contacts. Select addresses and click the
arrows to move them into the appropriate address columns."
Yep.
then I get the popup window listing my Contacts. Unfortunately, it has
*two* significant discrepancies. First, it only lists 60 of my
70 contacts. I have examined each one of the contacts that are being
omitted, and the few checked or populated boxes in them do not differ
in any discernible fashion from any of the ones that *are* being listed.
<snip>
So the only conclusion I can reach is that the popup maybe is limited
to 60 entries - can that possibly be true?
Could be.  I'd say that the default behavior is broken anyway - listing
ANY contacts by default is incorrect.
That doesn't make any sense - right above here I reproduce the
specific instructions from the help module that tell you you
will get a Contacts listing whenever you smack the "To:", "Cc:",
or "Bcc:" buttons on your new emnail.
Can you search for your contacts?
I'm unclear on exactly what you mean by that term in this context.

There is a "search" field in the dialog that appears.  If the left pane
of the dialog does not list all your contacts when the dialog initially
opens can you search for the absent ones?

I can go to the Contacts area, where I see my list of all 70 Contacts
marching across the top of the screen, in proper "File under"
order, and I need only click on one of them to drop down its
edit window, say, if someone changes their email address.
I can also start typing in the "To:" field of the new email, and
that may cause Autocomplete to call up the full name and address.
I suppose it's doing a search, in that case.
[What if you have thousands of contacts, do you expect them all to be
listed?  Either (a) the program will try and probably crash or hang or
(b) only a subset will be listed and the user will be confused.
Conclusion: list none]
A good question.I don't have an answer. All I know is that the Evo docs,
as I copied above, do provide that the Contacts list will appear any
time you click one of those three fields when editing a new message.
The other problem, and I have posted it here at least twice with no
in all cases, the sorting according to the "File under" field
in the Contact entries. What it is sorting by is the *first name*
of the Contact. Let me make this one very clear; when I actually
move into the Contacts module, as in to do editing of Contacts,
all the Contacts appear sorted by the "File under" field, as they
are expected to be. It is only in the "SELECT CONTACTS" popup
that appears when you are composing a new message and smack the
"To:" field that they are being incorrectly sorted on first name
from the "Full Name" field.
Hmm.  I've give that a try.
BTW though I shouldn't have to, I will add that every single one of the
entries in my Contacts *does* have the "File under" field populated.
Can you even save a contact without that field filled in?
No - it autocompletes based on some algorithm that selects
last name first, if the "Full Name" entry above it appears
to be a person's name, as opposed to, say, a corp or other org.
It will let you backspace the entry out, but I note that when
you do, the "OK" block at the bottom right of the individual Contact
edit window is greyed out - so it's not gonna let you save with that
"File under" field blank.
Given the software's insistence that the "File under" field be
populated, it's all the more galling that the software totally
ignores it when popping up the list in composition mode :-)

Well, this goes back to the statement above about not really working for
anything other than Contacts.