Re: [Evolution] access control on imap folders

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 10:25 +0200, Silvan Marco Fin wrote:
Hi!

I wondered, how evolution behaves, if it happens to come across an imap
folder to which it has limited access. Actually, I removed write access
on the imap server (cyrus, rights modified by user of cyradm) and tried
to delete an email. To my surprise it seemed to work, which of course
could not be correct.

Do you mean you just hit Delete, or that you hit Delete and then
Expunge? I would expect Delete (i.e. "mark as deleted") to be cached and
therefore succeed temporarily. The next server synch should then fail
because of the permissions problem. I would expect Expunge to cause such
a synch and failure. If *at that point* it appeared to succeed then that
would be a problem.

Next thing I saw was the "Error" message in the
dialog bar, which, when clicked brought up an error dialog telling me
something about "error syncing changes: permission denied".

That sounds OK so far.

BUT: How do
I get my evo back in sync with the situation on the imap server? Now
everytime I take a look into that folder, the email is missing and I get
the error message. Without restoring write access, my evolution is in an
continous error state, concerning this folder. Even trying to undelete
the email doesn't solve this problem.

That's a good question. I occasionally want to tell Evo to just forget
its local state and forceably resynch a folder with the server (e.g.
when the Unread count doesn't match the number of Unread messages).
There doesn't appear to be a way to guarantee that short of
unsubscribing the folder, exiting Evo, restarting it and re-subscribing
the folder, which is ridiculous.

poc