Re: [Evolution] Deleting Old Email

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 15:11 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 10:31 -0500, Barbara Tobias wrote:
Is there an easy way to get rid of old email?  I use my email folders
extensively as a substitute for a file cabinet, but don't need to keep
things more than five or six months.  I know that I can sort by date,
select everything older than what I want to keep, delete them, and then
expunge.  I'm just hoping there might be an easier way.
I'm using Evolution 2.26.1 under Ubuntu Linux 9.04.

Use Cyrus IMAPd IMAP server and set expiration on the relevant
folder(s).

Several points here:

1) This not part of standard IMAP, so Evo doesn't support it in the user
interface.

2) Most users can't dictate what server-side software is run.

3) Even if the server is Cyrus, expiring a folder requires either a
login account on the server, or the intervention of an administrator.

poc