Re: [Evolution] suggestion for evolution

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 20:31 -0400, Jay Daniels wrote:
On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 10:49 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 15:54 +0200, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
Can someone explain why I'd want to place Evolution in offline mode manually?

You're boarding a plane and want to continue reading email.

Matthew Barnes

on Linux - fetchmail+procmail+maildir+evolution+mutt+msmtp

need i say more.  evo read ~/.maildir folders directly.  it's also
lightening fast.  well worth the trouble to setup.

anybody done any speed test on this type of setup with disabling plugins
you don't need?

jay

I eventually gave up on Evo with maildir, a huge amount of IO (I only
have slightly less than 3GB of mail) whenever the app is open, so I
inserted dovecot (IMAP) in between maildir and evo and suddenly
everything is peachy again. Another alternative to fetchmail/procmail is
offlineimap, especially for those who sometimes need web-based access to
their mail and don't have their own servers to log into.

Before anyone asks, yes I did mention the maildir/IO issue on this list
previously, but no replies to that and dovecot's been serving me well
anyway.