Re: [Evolution] How can I make Evo to recognize xslx files should be opened with OpenOffice?

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 12:17 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
Jim McKean wrote:
When I get an attachment with one of the newer MS formats (like *.xlsx),
evolution does not recognize that it can open them with OpenOffice.  It
only give me the option to save them or open with text editor.  If I
save them,  Ubuntu has no problem recognizing that OpenOffice can open
them.  But most of the time, I just want to see what's in them, not keep
them in my file system.

What do I need to do to allow me to click on them to open while in Evo?

use nautilus to associate an application with the filetype

This question keeps getting asked over and over again.  I asked it
myself a couple of years ago.  Maybe the developers can take a hint
that some better documentation would be a good idea.

I will add that I choose not to use nautilus--if I wanted a Windows
desktop, I would run Windows--so it would really be nice to have
an alternative way to make these settings.  When a new format comes
along, I have to run nautilus to register it, then log out and in
again to get rid of nautilus.  In my view, nautilus has nothing to
do with email and it should not be necessary to run it to set up
one's email preferences.  I realize this is a philosophical argument
with the developers that I will lose, but I wanted to say it anyway.

Regards to all.
George Reeke