From: Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 3:43:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Evolution] how/when does evolution-data-server gets started

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 08:49 -0700, Jan Pfeifer wrote:
sorry for the basic question, but in my system (Ubuntu 9.04) I noticed that evolution-data-server was not
run automatically -- contacts were not working.

So now I wrote a little script to:

1 - start evolution-data-server
2 - wait 5 seconds
3 - start evolution

But that seems wrong, evolution probably should start evolution-data-server by itself.

Do you guys know what could be wrong, or which steps I could make to find out ?

Should evolution-data-server be started in the beginning of my session, when I log in and open X ?

evolution-data-server is a Bonobo service.  It's started on demand by
bonobo-activation-server the first time an application or applet
requests a connection to it.  When logging into a desktop session, the
clock applet is usually the first to request a connection in order to
retrieve the day's appointments and tasks.  Evolution, of course, also
connects to the data server on startup.

Check that bonobo-activation-server is running on your system.

Matthew Barnes