Re: [Evolution] message filters not working

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 20:54 +0000, Chris G wrote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 04:10:35PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 19:46 +0000, Chris G wrote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:56:52PM +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

The one I created for the evolution-list gnome org works fine, but the
ones I have created for my various ubuntu and security mailing lists
don't work.  I created all the rules the same.

Basically, filter on mailing list and I double-check the mailing-list
name/address. I then tell the filter to move the message to a folder on
my local system.

The easiest way is to right click on one of the mailing list messages,
select "Create rule from message" -> "Filter based on mailing list".  If
there is not the information in the mailing list messages to be able to
filter, then that option won't be present.

(The mailing list filtering requires certain headers to be present -
it's not just based on the list mail address - the headers all start
'List-')

But *very many* mailing lists don't have those List headers.

Sure, but that's not Evo's fault!  In that case you can't filter as a
mailing list, you will have to filter on sender address.  The "Filter on
Mailing List" *requires* those headers to be present - that's how Evo
knows that it's a mailing list email, otherwise it looks like any other
email to Evo.

In the 'real world' that's not very helpful to the user is it.

For this very reason mutt (for example) has configuration options to
tell it what addresses are mailing lists so it doesn't rely on 'well
behaved' mailing lists.

And how does Mutt know which addresses are mailing lists?

You tell it, that's what I meant by 'configuration options'.  Hardly
rocket science!  :-)

You mean like you tell the Evo filter to look for a ListId header?

poc